Here are some things I learned:
- It shouldn't be sitting on sitting on the ground
- Lemongrass oil is harder to find than I thought (I found it at Whole Foods--holding my nose since that aisle is an attack on your olfactory sense--whew!)
- Since the oil evaporates fairly quickly, I found a recipe for a grease pattie: see below
- I used a paper towel to clean the grease pattie pan and added it to the hive
- I still have more bees visiting my garage than my swarm trap
- 15-20 drops of lemongrass oil
- Beeswax (I used half of a candle that was in the "goodie" bag from the Atlanta Beekeeper's short course)
- Olive oil--not sure how much I used (2 tsp?) it helped to "thin" the wax to make it more like an ointment (my wife hates that word)
- I melted the wax in a throw-away pan and added the olive oil and 15-20 drops of lemongrass oil.
- I poured it into a used coffee cup and let it cool.
- I smeared it at the entrance of an unused brood box and on top of some frames.
- I used some Saran-wrap to cover the unused portion.
|the grease was also spread on bottom board|