Welcome to Eddie O Bee Adventure

Hello,

This should be interesting. I have no experience in beekeeping, except what I can glean from others.

For timeline . . . the install date will be April 22, 2012

Please comment. I need all the help I can get!

Eddie O.

Sunday, April 1, 2012

+12 Days After Install: What happens next?

I am finding myself to be more of a "What next?" beekeeper. For me (probably like most) simply don't have the time to read all of the books on beekeeping. I have two kids in constant sports and activities.
When I do pick up a book, I seem to skip all of the parts about entomology and history and go straight to what I need to know at that point.

Now that I am +7 days since my install, I find myself asking "What happens next?"
  1. When will the newly laid eggs emerge as bees?
  2. What is the bee lifecycle?
  3. How many eggs will the queen lay in the tall brood area?
Picture Credit: www.cwf-fcf.org

Quick Timeline:
  • Days 1-3--Egg: 1st day is stands vertically, 2nd day is bends over, 3rd day it falls over
  • Days 4-9--Larva: next three days it is fed royal jelly. Then fed a mixture of pollen and honey (bee bread) and the cell is capped.
  • Days 9-21: Pupa:  Non-feeding stage. Larva spins cocoon to become Pupa. Body parts develop. on 21st day, it bites its way out as an adult.
  • Day 21+: Adult: It emerges as with a grey color.
Adult timeline:
  • 1-2 Cleans cells and helps warm broodnest
  • 3-5 Feeds older larvae with honey and pollen
  • 6-11 Feeds your larvae with royal jelly
  • 12-17 Produces wax and constructs comb, ripens honey
  • 18-21 Guard the hive entrance and ventilate the hive
  • 22+ Forage the nectar, pollen, propolis, and water
Below is a picture of some eggs that I guess must be 2-3 days old (since they are laying over)


Below, you can see some nice fat larvae that are ready to be capped.


Here is a great picture from the "Busy Bee" Hive after 23 days (I came back to add this). You can see the queen in the middle with yellow dot,  white capped honey on the left, orange and white pollen next to the honey, and larvae in various stages and finally . .  capped brood on the bottom right.





So, when I do inspection #2 in seven days (+16 days) I'll hopefully see some capped pupas, larva being fed and additional eggs.





No comments:

Post a Comment