Welcome to Eddie O Bee Adventure

Hello,

This should be interesting. I have no experience in beekeeping, except what I can glean from others.

For timeline . . . the install date will be April 22, 2012

Please comment. I need all the help I can get!

Eddie O.

Friday, April 6, 2012

2nd Hive Inspection Checklist

It has probably been good that I have been away on vacation. I'm sure the bees are saying "maybe that guy will finally leave us alone for a little while". I guess I am the Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) of beekeeping . . . I probably watch and monkey with them a little too much.

So now that I have been on a little break (and given the bees a little break) . . . I am gathering my thoughts about my second inspection which will be +16 days after install (Sunday)

2nd Inspection: What the bees are supposed to be doing . . .
  1. Queen laying eggs
  2. Raising young
  3. Collecting pollen & nectar
  4. Building comb
  5. Capping honey?
  6. Strength of hives? need to add brood to weak one?
  7. Problems?

Here is what the Dummies book says: Getting ready
  1. Open the hive between 10:00 am - 5:00 pm: Sunny day to look for eggs/larvae
  2. Get geared up and light smoker, no scents (put away your Old Spice)
  3. Puff some smoke at entrance/top wait a few minutes
  4. Remove top and inner cover (pray no comb in the top feeder area)
  5. Use hive tool to move the #2 or #9 frame (10 frame box) to break it loose
  6. lift straight up. Avoid killing bees.
  7. Using #2 or #9 allows to place the final frame back into it place without squishing bees against the hard side of the box, doing this way is bees against bees
  8. Lay next to hive in vertical position
Manipulating the frame: (again here is what Dummies book says:)
  1. Hold frame by the tabs, Get a good grip. (retaliation for a mixup here is swift)
  2. Turn the frame vertically (one hand head high, other at about waist)
  3. Then turn the frame like a page on a book.
  4. Then return back to horizontal position to view other side of frame
Part 2:  Goals for my second hive inspection: Checking for Queen
  1. Finding the actual queen not essential, but evidence of good queen essential
  2. Use sunlight to help to check for eggs/larvae
  3. See previous posts for egg shape and relative size
  4. If you see eggs  . .  you at the very least know if queen was here within last 2-3 days
  5. Since I am +16 days, I should hopefully see eggs, larva and capped cells
Part 3: Checking Brood Pattern & Foodstuffs
  1. A tight brood pattern is good, spotty is bad and indicates something wrong with queen
  2. The brood will be in a football shape when looking at the frame. In 3D I guess it would look like a large oval looking rock with a flattened top.
from USDA.gov
      3.  Pollen and stores around the "football"


Part4:  Ready for another super?
  1. When 80% all but outside frames are fully drawn, we will add super.
  2. I asked Beesource members and I will add a deep on one and medium for brood on the other (that is my inventory, I would add another deep if I had one)

I'm excited to see what happens. I'm still worried that the little buggers will be adding comb to the ziploc feeder area. I will bring rubber bands to add this comb to the super I plan on adding.


No comments:

Post a Comment