Welcome to Eddie O Bee Adventure

Hello,

This should be interesting. I have no experience in beekeeping, except what I can glean from others.

For timeline . . . the install date will be April 22, 2012

Please comment. I need all the help I can get!

Eddie O.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Trying it barehanded: Not sure it is for me

I read where people use heavy gloves all of the time and some prefer no gloves at all. For the first month, I have tried a middle ground: nitrile rubber gloves.


For something different, I tried no gloves at all. I can tell you I was definitely more confident with the gloves on and very timid with my bare hands (and with a white knuckle grip on the frames) Not sure it is for me, but I will try it again and see how it goes.


One of my thoughts was that the rubber gloves were hindering my dexterity, but if it does, it is not much at all. If anything, the rubber gives a little more grip when manipulating the frame (even though the rubber gets caught when repositioning sometimes).

2 comments:

  1. Eddie: Great post. I am not ashamed to say I wear gloves. Most of the time I wear leather beekeeping gloves and sometimes I use nitrile gloves. I admire anyone who can do it barehanded, but to be honest, I am more confident handling my bees with gloves. Even the most careful beekeeper gets stung. I've only bee stung once this year and that was when a bee got in my overalls. I think you should do whatever makes you feel most comfortable. For me, that includes gloves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark,

    I'm with ya . . . I think it's going to be gloves for me. However I told myself I would try it one more time . . . .

    Eddie O.

    ReplyDelete