All in all, it was a pretty routine inspection . . . for once.
Here's a quick rundown:
- No comb on top of the frames--moving the baggie on top of the frame was the ticket
- Hive#1 is still stronger, I added a second deep brood box. There was one frame that was drawn with mainly nectar so I moved it to the middle of the new deep brood box.
- I sprayed the new frames with sugar syrup to hopefully gain better acceptance
- I left Hive#2 alone and will hopefully add another deep brood box at the next inspection
- The bees were very docile, I used generous amounts of smoke whenever they seemed very "interested" in what I was doing.
- Hive#1 Busy Bee: added deep brood--7-8 frames built out
- Hive#2 Big Bee: 6-7 frames built out
- When using the baggie feeder, you need to have a level spot so the baggie does not leak when you remove it from the hive while inspecting (I left it sitting on the inner cover)
- The plastic frames seem to be a little wider than the wooden ones (they are more difficult to push back into place)
- I am seeing a lot more dead bees (especially drones). It's not a result of the robbing, but the bees that came in the package are getting a little older.