I let my son puff some smoke at the entrance and opened hive #1 (Busy Bee). Much to my regret, the bees had started to build and fill comb that was in the 3 inch riser that housed the ziploc feeder. The 1 gallon ziploc was completely empty.
Here is what I saw: They had started to build comb on top of the frames
I smoked a few more times, and looked down on the frames. It's a 10 frame super--on both sides the two outside frames were not really even touched. I was able to move the frames with relative ease (not too much propolis yet). I worked towards the inner frames that were built out very well.
I was surprised at the weight of each frame. You have to wonder how many trips it must have taken to work towards that combined weight.
Below, you see capped honey on top, a ring of pollen, nectar--and in the middle, the capped larva.
Now, it was Hive #2: Big Bee
- Amazing how heavy the frames are getting (imagine how many trips)
- One hive doing better
- I used generous amounts of smoke
- Built comb in all the wrong places
- Smoke was bad for me too
- Got stung for first time
- Neighbors asked about the bees
- Still not using my water source (someone suggested a little salt & sugar to attract)
- Big Bee 5-6 frames drawn, 1.5 gallons syrup so far
- Busy Bee 7 frames drawn, 1.25 gallons syrup so far
- Comb on Big Bee not gone--need to retrieve
- Need more syrup (I only added quart bags)
- What different colors of pollen represent
- How to get bees more attracted to my water source